Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Did anyone use olive oil on the perineum to stop tearing or needing cut?

Apparently this really helps to stop you from needing stitches.


Has anyone tried it and does it work?


XXDid anyone use olive oil on the perineum to stop tearing or needing cut?
I took a Hypnobirthing class, and they talked about this. The husband was supposed to do some perineal massage with olive oil. My husband tried to pretend he hadn't heard them talk about it, he didn't want to do it. (Of course they only talked about it in class, you do it at home.)





Anyway, in my personal experience, had an episiotomy with my first, and didn't tear or need an episiotomy with my second. Now, maybe the first birth kind of stretched everything out, but I think there were two things that made the difference. First, was with my first, my body just wasn't quite ready to give birth, my water broke at 37 weeks and I wasn't dilated or effaced, and wasn't having contractions, so it was basically a pitocin-induced labor. Then with my second, they induced labor at a couple days past my due date because of toxemia, so even though both labors were induced with pitocin, my body was more ready the second time.


The second thing was the hypnobirthing class. I felt much more relaxed about the birth the second time, I felt much more in control than I had the first time. (Although, the first time, obviously you don't know what you're doing or what to expect, so whether it was the class or just experience? Anyway...) I would definitely recommend taking a really good birthing class, not just a one-night class given at your hospital, but a really good class like hypnobirthing or the Bradley method, or lamaze, or any of them. The hypnobirthing method has you push a different way than the others, I think that also made a difference. So, relax, prepare by taking a good class, and push the right way. Even with all of that, you might still need stitches. Just be flexible and go with the flow!


Good luck!Did anyone use olive oil on the perineum to stop tearing or needing cut?
Hey





I haven't tried it yet but plan to after reading about it. I asked my friend (who is a midwife) about it and she highly recommended it. She says that you should start massaging olive oil into the perineum and just inside the vagina from around 32 weeks. She sad that the olive oil acts as a moisturiser and leaves the area more supple and less likely to tear although, like everything in life, it's not guaranteed. She did say that women she has worked with who have done this were less likely to tear and if they did have a tear it was small and didn't require stitches.





I say go for it - it won't do any harm and anything is more appealing than having to be cut.





Good luck!





Indigo





xxx
hi honey, i did this massage about 3 times a week, after showering, but i used a oil from Weleda, especially designed for this, but also read olive or almond oil also are cool, i highly recommend this, i didn't need any stitches, horaay for me!!! as i heard they can be a bugger while healing!! also after have a few lavender baths this also apparently helps with the healing, i got all these products together, in a weleda pregnancy pack, which was lucky!!! good luck!!!
I had a water birth, and the warmth of the water relaxed the skin and muscles to prevent tearing, but at the birth center where I had my son, they recommended using oil to massage the perineum. They also did it for you when you were in labor, the midwife or doctor would be massaging it in while you were pushing. They had a 1% episiotomy rate, so I guess it worked.


I'd like to add, episiotomies are rarely NEEDED. Unfortunately, its common practice to slice when dr.s just want baby out. The old story saying ';if you tear it will be too hard to stitch up, but with a cut its ust a straight line...'; NO! Most vaginal tears are not as deep as a dr.s cut, and most tears don't require stitching either.
I used Sweet Almond oil on my perineum from about 32 weeks and I only needed 1 stitch. I don't know if this was down to the oil or not, but it certainly doesn't hurt to give it a try. (Although by 32 weeks I did find it a struggle to get access, if you know what I mean LOL).
i did but needed an episiotomy anyway!


you can always try it, it might work for you.


by the way, you won't feel a thing if u need an episiotomy!
yea it works. but they still needed to cut me 2 times.
Blimey, what are you planning on getting up to, big lad is he.
  • printer cartridge
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment