Wednesday, December 30, 2009

How do I stop the engine breather from blowing oil when I start my 1982 FLH?

I have a 1982 FLH that blows oil from the engine breather when I start it. It has a new S%26amp;S oil pump. It blows oil only after sitting for a few days.How do I stop the engine breather from blowing oil when I start my 1982 FLH?
your check valve ball is not seating, it may seat its self after a while. if it were mine I'd give it a while to see if it does.


if you've got a stock style oil pump the check valve spring %26amp; ball is under the lower slotted plug on top of the oil pump(the taller one covers the bypass spring %26amp; plunger) .if you want to check it, block or pinch the oil feed line from the tank, remove the slotted plug %26amp; take out the spring %26amp; ball with a pencil magnet or small magnetic tip screw driver %26amp; inspect it for scratches or rust, if its ok put it back in %26amp; use a brass rod %26amp; give it a light tap with the handle of a screw driver(NOT A HAMMER) to seat it then put the spring %26amp; plug back. some times this will fix them sometimes not. DONT stretch the spring to make it stronger !How do I stop the engine breather from blowing oil when I start my 1982 FLH?
I second that! Go to the check ball. Crash is right on.
Crash has it right. The other guys have no idea how a Harley functions.
You have oil coming from the pan and it is getting in the intake from the rings. Have a compression done before repairs are made.
This is a common prob on the older HDs. Sound like the oil lines are connected wrong! Did you do the pump yourself? If you connect the lines wrong into the oil bag it will cause this! Inside the oil bag is different length tubes. 2 are always in oil and one is above. If you put the one that is suppose to be above in the wrong spot, oil will constantly be at the oil pump, seeping by the check valve in the oil pump while the bike is parked and fill the bottom end of your engine. When you hit the starter, the piston comes down pressurizing the bottom end and forcing the oil out threw the crankcase vent that is linked to your breather! If it is the check valve, find yourself a push rod. Take out the check valve and use one of the ball ends of the push rod to reface the valve seat. Just insert the push rod into the seat and give it a few light taps with a hammer. The push rod is hard and the seat is a softer metal. Just a few lite taps and the seat will be reshaped and the ball can now seal.
you have a ring that is sticking

No comments:

Post a Comment