Wednesday, December 30, 2009

I put oil on the wheel to stop it from squeaking but it squeaks again after a day or so. What do I do?

The cage is now downstairs, no prob, I just wanna know. If it isn't very loud, I can hear the wheel from upstairs.I put oil on the wheel to stop it from squeaking but it squeaks again after a day or so. What do I do?
I put petroleum jelly on mine just no name cheapest you can find. It stops it from sticking and squeking and there's no way of it harming the animal if they get some on their fur or ingest a tiny bit.I put oil on the wheel to stop it from squeaking but it squeaks again after a day or so. What do I do?
vaseline will work....replacing with plastic is the other option.
Dental wax.





Like the kind used to keep new braces from cutting your mouth.





Warm it slightly (in your hands) and pack it into where it's rubbing. As it rubs it wears down and lubricates the whole thing. It works like a charm.





If you don't know anyone with braces, call around to dentists and orthodontists. Chances are, they'll give you a container of it free.
I used to put baby oil on my hamster wheel and that worked pretty well. Try buying him/her a plastic wheel those don't make nearly as much noise. You could also take some toilet paper and cut a VERY thin strip and put it in the hole that hold the base of the wheel. That will silence the noise but if it's a hamster he WILL chew that tissue paper off so you'll have to refresh the tissue everyday if you do that.
I would recommend throwing it out and getting a Silent Spinner. I never hear the hamster at night. Well sadly the hamster died, but when it did run, I couldn't hear anything. All I could hear was the clicking when it drank from it's water bottle.





When I was a kid I had one of those stinking metal wheels and it ticked me off every night. And I wasn't even smart enough to put oil on it.





Try a silent spinner, they aren't really expensive.
I always put vaseline on my wheels and they stop making noise for alone time.
if you can put Vaseline on the wheel it wont squeak for a long time.
Vaseline works wonders, just make sure you don't put too much on, and wipe off any excess. This method is tried and true, I haven't heard my girlfriend make any comments about their wheel except now that you can only hear the pitter patter of our hamsters running on it.


Good Luck :)
I spray mine with Pam cooking oil, and that takes care of the squeaking for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment