Wednesday, December 30, 2009

How to stop my car from leaking oil?

I have a 1995 1.9L Merc Tracer 4 cyl 88hp automatic front wheel drive. I took it to a mechanic and he told me that the oil sending unit is the place it is leaking. I am wondering where the leak whould come from and if it is easy to fix, whether if it is the sending unit or something else. I have to put in a quart of oil every 2 weeks or so. The puddle of oil is hardly that big (drops of oil) but my car could deceive me. I think I lose most of my oil during my drive to where ever it is I go to. ThanksHow to stop my car from leaking oil?
An oil sender that is leaking is real easy to spot. The reason the puddle is small is that an oil sender leaks when the engine is running and the oil is under pressure, most of your oil is leaking while you drive. Clean the sender off and start the car. If it is the sender you should start to see oil starting to appear almost immediately.How to stop my car from leaking oil?
a product on the market thats real good is called Bar's leaks


check out the link below
yes the oil sending unit is probualy wore out and stopped up.prob.need a new 1
If your mechanic is right it usually is fairly easy to fix. It honestly is impossible to know where it is leaking from without looking at your car - but I would say that the mechanic is probably right. It would be a good idea to replace the sending unit sometime in the near future (it could crack more and really pour out the oil). Personally I would pay someone to replace the sending unit instead of doing it myself simply because even though it is easy to replace, it is a job that given what it cost to pay someone, it isn't worth getting that messy and spending that much aggravation on. Also, you are right about it leaking more while you are driving. It really won't leak while the engine is off. It leaks only while the engine is running because that is when the engine is pumping the oil up to the sending unit (so it can measure the oil pressure) and no oil is reaching the sending unit while the engine is off. The engine actually has a pump to pump the oil around inside the engine. The oil you see in your driveway is from what has leaked onto other engine parts while you are driving and simply is draining off of those parts while the car is parked.
10 year old cars, even with minmimal use useally leaks oil. first fix the oil leak it might a gasket set in the engine. then do some preventive maintainance. Like change the oil at evry 4500 instead of 5000 kms. have it checked every 3000 kms for you to detec other future mechanical damages your car might have. it might be more expensive to maintain an older car but if you totally love your car it's the only way spend more for preventive maintenance.
Replace the oil sending unit.
The mechanic who looked at it said it was the oil sending unit so replace the oil sending unit. It's easy to fix if you know what your doing.
tellm me about it, I have a warped aluminium engine block its warped and I can't do nothing about the slow leak
The oil sending unit is a screw in component, so either the sending unit is damaged (you'll need a special socket for it, and a new one for about $10-15) or the block is damaged (you'll need a new engine, or someone who can perform some expensive surgery to rebuild the threads).

No comments:

Post a Comment