Wednesday, December 30, 2009

How can I stop the barometric damper on my oil furnace from sticking open?

I have an oil burning furnace and recently I have noticed soot on the floor and the damper door sticks open after the furnace runs. What can I do to keep the door swinging freely and not stick open?How can I stop the barometric damper on my oil furnace from sticking open?
Use an old toothbrush to clean any rust and soot from the hinge portions. Check for any mechanicla damage or bent parts (sticking points). Lube the hinges with a high temp lube from the auto store, or in a pinch a small amount of 3-in-1 will hold you for a while.





The damper should be fine. If it continues to stay open it is likely out of balance. Ideally you could et that properly serviced. Or you may choose to slowly advance the weight on the stud bolt until it allows the damper to just close.How can I stop the barometric damper on my oil furnace from sticking open?
First, have the chimney checked for blockage..Second, oil it, or replace it..Soot on the floor makes me nervous.
soot indicates incomplete burning!useally the problem is not enough air .if it sticks open then it sticks closed .i would replace the damper or disenage it because the damper is the reason its 80 or 90 %.believe me you will still be OK......

No comments:

Post a Comment